Home (Transom)


Home » Boating » Transom



Boating  Transit  Transverse

< Search again
The transom is the surface that forms the stern of a boat.

TRANSOM: The stern cross-section of a square sterned boat.
TRIM: Fore and aft balance of a boat through good adjustment of the sails.
TRIMARAN: A boat with three hulls.

Transoms - These timbers extend across the low parts of the hull near the rudder, and are secured (either notched and/or bolted) to the sternpost.

The rear section of the hull connecting the two sides.
transom shower
A plastic hose and shower head located near the transom that draws from a fresh water supply.

1) The Planking that forms the Stern and closes off the sides of a wooden vessel.
2) The aftermost portion of the Stern of a vessel
Find Terms ...

Transom- the transverse part of the stern (where an outboard motor is attached).
Waterline- the intersection of a boat’s hull and the water’s surface.
USCG- United States Coast Guard ...

TRANSOM- flat part of the stern
WAKE- a wave or rippling of water caused by a boat's passge as it travels through the water.

transom flaps
Flaps in the transom that allow water to run off the boat
transom ...

The aft side of the hull.
A bar with an attached block, allowing more controlled adjustment of sail trim.

Transom: The transverse, roughly vertical, panel forming the after end of a boat's hull. Double-enders like canoes and peapods have no transom.

a slide which travels on a track and is used for altering sheet angles.

Transom: The flat rear end of a boat, the upper part of which tends to lean forward on modern racers.
Trim: To adjust the sail to make it the right shape and angle to the wind.

The flat, vertical hull section that extends across the stern.
Traveler strap ...

Transom: The flat area across the stern of the boat.
Trim: To trim or adjust the sail to make it more effective against the wind.
True wind: The actual wind felt wind the boat is not moving.

a device that the mainsheet may be attached to which allows its position to be adjusted ...

In housebuilding and shipbuilding a transom may be simply a crossbeam, but in small craft the word refers specifically to the transverse after end of the hull, including any stiffening beams or structure.

A large piece of timber fastened to the stern-posts, to the ends of which the afterpart of the bends are fastened.
Traverse ...

triple-expansion steam engine
An engine with three steam cylinders of different diameters. Steam passes from a small-diameter high-pressure cylinder to an intermediate cylinder to a large-diameter low-pressure cylinder.

Transom - The flat, or sometimes curved terminating structure of the hull at the stern of a boat.
Trapeze - Wire gear enabling a crewmember to place all of his weight outboard of the hull, thus helping to keep the boat level.

Transom - Most stern portion of the hull
Transom - The outside flat part of a boat's stern
Trigger - The electronic switch that replaced points, often refereed to as a Trigger assembly ...

Flat surface of a boat's stern
The flat, or sometimes curved terminating structure of the hull at the stern of a boat.

TRANSOM The aft end of the boat.
TRAVELER A track or rod with allows for adjustable positioning of the position of a block or sheet-lead.

The transom is hinged providing access to the 39's swim step and boarding ladder, and chainplates are inboard permitting tighter sheeting angles for the headsail, ...

The transom should not be cut down for the engine. If it is, then an engine well must be present. This prevents the boat from flooding from a low wave over the transom.

Once your transom is close enough to the dock, have your stern crew either jump on the dock with one of the stern lines, or throw the lines to some help on the dock. Immediately stop the boat. Adjust the length of your lines.

A piece of timber placed across the lower counter, inside, at the height of the helm-port, and bolted through every timber for the security of that port.
High And Dry ...

BEAM, TRANSOM A strong deck beam situated in the after end of the vessel connected at each end to the transom frame. The cant beams which support the deck plating in the overhang of the stern are attached to and radiate from it.

transom. The athwartships surface located at the very stern; as in: The outboard engine mounts on the dinghy's transom.

Transom - a more or less flat surface across the stern of a vessel. Dinghies tend to have almost vertical transoms, whereas yachts’ transoms may be raked forward or aft.
Trice - To haul and tie up by means of a rope.

Transom: The surface that makes the stern of a boat
Transom flaps: Flaps in the transom that allow water to run off the boat
Trapeze: A device mostly used in racing dinghies to allow the crew to lean out further without falling overboard ...

The sides of a vessel between the waterline and the deck; sometimes referring to onto or above the deck.
The stern cross-section of a square sterned boat.
Fore and aft balance of a boat.

Transom (Transsummer) - One of the principal transverse timbers of the stern, bolted to the sternpost and giving shape to the stern structure.
Traveler - An iron encircling a rope, bar, spar, or the like, and sliding thereon.

Boomkin (bumpkin) Short spar extending aft from the transom. Used to anchor the backstay or the sheets from the mizzen on a yawl or ketch.
Boot Top A painted stripe that indicates the waterline.

See also: See also: Boat, Hull, Board, Forward, Navigation

Boating  Transit  Transverse

RSS Mobile